Do you take a seasonal cough seriously? Most of us don’t. But, while it’s not a critical medical condition, it definitely takes a toll on our mood and state of mind. You would agree that having a cough session after every few minutes is quite irritating. Usually, we turn to medication immediately for instant relief. But honestly, natural remedies for cough are always more effective, long-lasting, and safe. If you are also from the ‘all-natural’ school of thought, you are reading the right thing.
10 Natural Remedies For Cough
Here are some highly effective and quick cough remedies, which are guaranteed to provide instant relief. And interestingly, most of them are effortlessly available in your kitchen. Here you go:
- Warm Liquids
- Sleep with your Head Elevated
- Turmeric Remedies
- Throat Lozenges
- Honey Remedies
- Ginger Remedies
- Remedies for Sputum
- Garlic Remedies
This is perhaps one of the most ancient natural remedies, tries and tested by various civilizations. Before a cough manifests itself in full throttle, make it a point to regularly gargle as soon as you feel a sore throat. Dissolve salt in warm water and gargle. Benefits:
- Gargling helps in draining excess fluid from the inflamed areas of the throat
- It thins the mucus
- It removes the irritants found in the throat
You should never neglect your cough even if it light. Sometimes it can lead to complications and chronic conditions. Drinking warm fluids is a good idea:
- They soothe inflammation in the throat
- A cup of steaming herbal tea or a warm soup is a great idea
Studies show that applying vapor-rubs provide relief to children above the age of two from a cough and cold. However, the mechanism of relief is still a mystery. The ingredients, which are camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol may have a role in soothing and relieving congestion. Also:
- Children sleep better after the application of vapor rubs
- They provide them symptomatic relief
Sleep with your Head Elevated
Cough leads to the production of stubborn mucus and everyone knows how irritating the feeling is. Especially when it drips in the throat. The condition worsens at night because the body posture becomes more conducive for dripping. This leads to disturbed sleep. Therefore, sleeping with the head elevated is a good idea. And that’s because:
- Reduces the mucus drainage to a good extent
- Improves sleep
- Helps in reducing cough
Turmeric is known to be a great healing agent for ages. It is an essential ingredient of natural remedies for cough and many other conditions. People have been using it in different ways. A few listed.
- Turmeric powder and milk: One of the very traditional cough remedies, that a number of people swear by. The antibacterial properties of turmeric powder provide relief. Warm-up a glass of milk and dissolve a little turmeric powder in it
- Turmeric gargle: gargling with a little salt and turmeric powder in hot water can soothe the throat and provide relief from a cough
- Honey and turmeric: The said mixture is particularly effective for a dry cough. Use the mixture 3-4 times a day
Studies show that:
- Patients who take zinc lozenges once in every 2-3 hours reduces the duration of a cold by half
- Throat lozenges can heal the irritation caused by recurrent coughing
- They prevent the progression of a cough or a sore throat
For soothing the irritated and inflamed throat linings, honey is known to be one the best natural agent. It has been an essential ingredient in almost all-natural remedies for a cough. It has been a part of Ayurveda remedy for cold and cough since ancient times.
- Great soothing effect and reduces a cough especially in children
- Use of honey in a cough improves sleep
- For a dry cough, try a mixture of grape juice and honey
- Honey in hot milk is one of the effective bedtime cough remedies
- Mix lemon juice and honey in warm water to have relief from a cough
Ginger has a number of incredible benefits in remedies for a cough.
- Fresh ginger: It is great for a dry cough. Take a piece of ginger and sprinkle a little salt. Chew it for some minutes
- Ginger tea: If you don’t have a problem with its strong aromatic taste, use ginger tea. It’s great for relief from a cough. Once the chopped ginger is boiled in water, strain it and add a teaspoon of honey
- Ginger relieves the symptoms of a cough by promoting mucus secretion and salivation
- Ginger is used with black pepper and turmeric powder to reduce congestion and cough
Remedies for Sputum
The congestion in the chest and throat because of the high levels of mucus is really irritating. It irritates the whole respiratory tract. Jaggery expels mucus and provides relief from congestion.
- Boil some corms of pepper in water and they mix a little jaggery and cumin. It will help in providing relief from sputum
- Check a slice of onion with a little jaggery on it. It will help reduce mucus congestion and will aid in its expulsion
It is the most effective expectorant and antimicrobial. You should consider it to one of the remedies for a cough to get instant relief. According to research, garlic helps in preventing cold and reducing symptoms.
- People who take garlic supplements catch fewer colds than people who don’t
- Crush peeled garlic, few cloves, and add a little amount of natural oil. Warm it up and use.
Try these natural remedies for cold cough and dry cough, and you will experience immediate relief!